Monday, May 28, 2007

The team names were India and Pakistan

We visited an orphanage of sorts today. Most of the kids had parents but some had been sexually abused and all were impoverished, though they seemed quite healthy and normal. They were all free to come and go as they pleased, despite some probably being less than 5 or 6. I asked them where their shoes were but they didn’t understand.

They were very excited to have us. We all crowded into the two cramped little playrooms and a young girl named Ashwini who looked to be around seven or eight decided to hang out with me. She actually pulled me by the hand most of the way to play cricket with some of the others, which was good because I didn’t know the way.

It took about half an hour to organize the game of cricket. Kids would periodically come up to me saying ‘cricket’ and then would get very excited when I said I would play. This would be followed by lots of roughhousing and chaos before everyone would forget and another would come up and say ‘cricket.’ Finally we got a game going and I struck out almost immediately, largely due to knowing nothing of the sport. Ashwini got me a flower anyway.

At the end when we were taking some goodbye pictures I tried to pick her up since she was so skinny and light. She didn’t like it and nearly got quite upset. I hate to imagine why.

6 comments:

JEFF said...

Very humane post. India brings out the inner mother Teresa I think.

If you always ask a kid before picking them up, this doesn't happen although in her case you might have had to pantomime what you wanted to do.

Serge said...

it's sad that there are situations like this throughout the world, but its nice that there is an effort to provide for those in need. No matter how little it may be. every little bit helps. even just by playing with them, it's a fond memory they will always cherish...

stephan said...

In my experience most children freak out when you try to pick them up without warning them first. Hopefully that was all it was.

William said...

oh i asked her permission and pantomimed and everything. other people did it first too. maybe she just didn't understand what i was trying to communicate. i certainly hope so.

becki lee! said...

perhaps you should try your hand at picking up girls your own age.

William said...

to clarify, this is a boy. i don't have any pictures of Ashwini.