Thursday, June 14, 2007

Buggy Biodiversity

As I write this there is a really gorgeous gigantic dragonfly sitting next to me on my bed. There are a lot of friendly bugs around here, like this massive caterpillar-like bug with a very hard shell that it balls up into when disturbed.

The most interesting creepy crawly is probably the leach, which is surprisingly not that bad. They don’t spread disease at all and they don’t even have teeth. They produce enzymes which numb you, dissolve a little skin, and prevent the blood from clotting. Then it absorbs your blood through contact until it’s full and then it falls off. People still use them medicinally to this day, especially because of the anticoagulant it excretes.

Neah actually left one on and watched it for about twenty minutes. I’ve found probably approaching a couple dozen on me but so far I’ve gotten them off before they’ve drawn blood. It’s just still too gross a concept for me to go zen on it and let them do their business. I wish I had the balls to though, it’s hell of distracting to have to check for them and you miss out on the forest. We pick lime and tobacco leaves which you can rub on your skin to repel them but that washes off and they only come out in full force when it rains anyway.

No comments: