Thursday, June 14, 2007

I’m in the elephant room

We left Mojo Plantation in Coorg this morning after breakfast and five hours later got to our residence for the next two days. All the rooms are named after rainforest animals and are decorated with hand painted wallpaper, drapes, and blankets depicting that animal.

This afternoon was amazing. We went on a safari into the jungle in a very long green jeep that fit well over a dozen comfortably. The highlights were a veritable army of tiny macaque monkeys being adorable, wild peacocks which run surprisingly fast, and perhaps too close an encounter with an elephant family.

We spotted about a half dozen of them from a ways away and they stood their ground even after the jeep got to about ten yards. It was clear the adults were protecting the young and the males kept grabbing dirt with their trunks and throwing it on their backs. I took a picture with the flash on because it was getting dark but apparently that pisses them off so the guide made me stop.

We drove on and came back to make a second pass, this time with my side of the jeep directly facing the family. I was taking pictures with no flash but I think the alpha male recognized me. He definitely made eye contact. Then he trumpeted, throwing his trunk over his head, and charged the jeep. He stopped just a couple yards short of us. I could’ve leaned out and touched him. He could’ve flipped the car.

No comments: