Sunday, July 8, 2007

7th of July

I met up with my friend Ed, a Brazilian backpacker I met in Mumbai, and we rented a car and driver to go sightseeing in. We saw the parliament building and the India Gate, a bazaar where I got a bangin' dress shirt for 4 dollars, and an abandoned building which has been completely taken over by monkeys. We also checked out the Lotus Temple, a temple of the Baha'i faith which teaches that religion has to evolve to suit the needs of the times. They read and sing from all religious texts and the echoes off the petal shaped walls give a very otherworldly feel to the service.

I headed over to the hamburger-laden Independence Day celebration at around seven to meet up with Neah and Gordon. Most people there were drunk rich Americans and their fat kids but there were a few twenty-somethings who work for the embassy or lobbying groups and such things. We stuck with them and ended up going out dancing, which I was of course much stoked on. I lost track of Neah and Gordon but ended up in the VIP section of some hellafancy nightclub by tagging along with an African ambassador's daughter. After too many drinks and not enough dancing, I drunkenly rickshawed back to my room to sleep off the impending hangover.

No comments: