Sunday, July 22, 2007

RishiCashMoney

The sleepless bus got in to Rishikesh at around 4am and I groggily helped a couple Korean backpackers make it to a good hotel safely. They had only been in India for a few weeks and were super grateful and nice. They even bought me some fruit as a thank you present and invited me to dinner, where they insisted on having pictures not only of the food, but of them posing with the food. Their cameras were full of pictures of people, and they seemed almost surprised to see mine full only of pictures of India.

Rishikesh is hands down my favorite place in India right now. It's a lot like Varanasi, only cleaner, quieter, less crowded, more authentically spiritual, and less debilitated by poverty---at least on the eastern side of the Ganges where all the ashrams are. There are cheap eats (pure veg only) all over, sadhus on every corner, and yoga classes galore.

All the best courses are mad pricey though, because Rishikesh is THE place to study. Like, actually a really big deal. There are classes on other things too, like pranayam, reiki, and ayurvedic cooking. I think I'm gonna have to drop a couple hundo on it. It would cost a hell of a lot more in the U.S., and I'll probably never get another chance.

4 comments:

JEFF said...

So like how much $$ per month would it cost to live there?

adrianne said...

hahahha
awesome peace sign

I LIKE

William said...

Rent is about 6000 Rs/mo. or $150 for a good apartment in town, or you could live in an ashram on the east side of the river for at most 3000 Rs/mo. which is $75. I was actually considering it so I asked my Ayurvedic cooking teacher about it. I'm dropping hellofdollars though because of other expenses.

stephan said...

I miss the thumbs up.. Well you can't please everyone. :) Promoting peace is important too.