Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Kickin' it in Kathmandu

I dropped twenty bucks on a trekking guide named Indra and went hiking to the top of Nagarjun (snake head) mountain today, about 600 meters above Kathmandu valley. There’s a Buddhist temple up there and while we were taking in the view from the top, a Nepali military patrol rolled up. There was an officer with them, Major Shah, who offered to take us for a jeep ride to another good viewpoint. I asked him about religion on the ride and he told me (off the record) that the communists here pretend to be secular but they celebrate Hindu holidays.


Afterwards, Indra bought me lunch (buffalo steamed momos) and took me out to Durbar Square for some sightseeing. I bought a well worn traditional Gurkha dagger called a Kukri from a sweet little Nepali girl named Sharnita (or something like that) in the bazaar and clicked some more pictures. On the way back to Kathmandu Guesthouse where he works and I stay, we stopped at a music shop in Thamel and I picked up a Nepali CD on Indra’s recommendation. Maybe I'll post a track if it's good.

7 comments:

JEFF said...

I can't wait to see the trinket if you can get it past Homeland Security.

adrianne said...

seriously cut it out with the thumbs up

how stupid is it going to look to have 800 pictures of you make that same hokey pose

William said...

rbj: i'm gonna try to mail it as there's no way in hell i'll get it through an international flight.

ad: okay fine i'll try the peace sign. that's gonna get just as hokey though.

DF said...

neither peace sign nor thumbs up is needed - your ordinary self is fine - did you get my email?

JEFF said...

I have no problem with the thumbs up. It's self satire, right Wm?

DF said...

And don't forget to buy lots of presents for US!! & you can mail them along with the dagger thingy. We welcome prayer flags, statues, beads, clay pots, etc. You were so lucky to get your camera back!!Your Uncle Ethan left for Dubai today and is gonna move from the Hyatt Hotel into an apartment soon. When are you gonna book those tickets and reply to my last email? <3<3<3 Mom (also known as She Who Never Stops Nagging)

stephan said...

I'm still diggin the thumbs up.