Monday, July 23, 2007

Delishikesh

Today I learned how to make kichari (good for indigestion and delhi-belly, which is WAY useful here) and chapati. Like in any good cooking class, we got to eat it afterwards and it was TASTEY. My diet here can only be described as 'off the chain.' Here are some fruit and vegetable carts a few minutes walk from my ashram in Shivanand Jhula. They've spoiled me every day I've been here and it'll be hard to go back to storebought produce. I think I'll have to actually wake up for the farmer's market now, especially for Ayurvedic cooking ingredients. Hopefully I'll be needing them as I've picked up a few cookbooks with the intention of getting good at this.

In other news, I've finished my Reiki training, yes! Here is a picture of me meditating on my belly full of kichari after the Reiki initiation ceremony, just before I take prasad (eating the blessed fruit offerings of puja).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you look skinny. tell me your dieting secrets!

-that girl in norway

ps. i am kidding. sort of.

JEFF said...

So should we start calling you Ram Wim or something now?

DF said...

I LOVE this picture!

(PS - We still need to communicate about the plane ticket from Dubai to NY ... see email)

adrianne said...

RAM WIM

stephan said...

who is the blessed fruit offerings of puja for?

William said...

Something about India just makes it hard to be fat. In my yoga classes they always talk about poses to help INCREASE appetite because everyone is mega skinny.
P.S. Are you STILL in Norway?

Ordinarily the puja would be for a deity but in this case the offering was actually made to former reiki teachers and healing spirits.

Anonymous said...

haha. yeah, i'm still in norway, working now.
and blogger is still in norwegian. strange.

i'm coming back to the states on the 23rd of august.