Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Take a Hike

People in Rishikesh are gearing up for a major festival. I don't know much about it but I noticed there were people all over town selling blue plastic bottles and asked my pranayam teacher about it. He said people come from villages all over the area, sometimes walking hundreds of kilometers, and take water from the Ganga to bring home to local temples. Some of them actually go by prostrating, marking where their hands touch, standing on the mark, and prostrating again.

Today's my last day in India and I'll miss it. There's so much I haven't seen and done here yet. Then again, it would take forever to see it all, and it's not like I'm going home just yet. I'll take the overnight train to Delhi and from there I'm off to Dubai for a few days, where internet access not be readily available. I'll apologize in advance in case I can't update.

6 comments:

adrianne said...

india just elected a woman president.

DF said...

if you update you can call it Dubai Days

becki lee! said...

if jack daniel's makes you anything less than the man with abilities in his pants, then i don't even want to know you.

JEFF said...

You will go again. Like you said, there is a lot more to see.

sarah said...

the local fruit&veg vendor i patronize here in edinburgh just got in the most glorious mangoes from pakistan called honey mangoes - their skin is a bright sunny yellow color, and they are more oblong than greenish red guys. have you encountered this sort amidst the heaps of fresh produce in india?
i am fantasizing...

William said...

There were fruits of that shape and color, I believe, but I just assumed they were another of the myriad unidentifiable indian fruits with difficult names. I wish I'd known to try them.